Herb and Dulse Crackers
Yield: about 24 crackers
Time: 5 minutes (active), plus baking time, which varies a bit
• 1 cup quinoa flour (if you have a Blendtec Blender, you can use whole quinoa and just blend it on the 'Grind Grain' setting to make flour)
• 1/2 cup millet flour, same as above
• 1/2 cup chia seeds, I also grind these but you can use them whole as well
• 1/2 tsp dried thyme (Feel free to use any herbs you have on hand such as Italian Seasonings or even cinnamon, nutmeg and some Stevia powder and honey for a sweeter version).
• 1/2 tsp dried parsley
• 1 tsp Dulse flakes
• 1 tsp Celtic Sea Salt (add a bit more if you like your crackers really salty)
• 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 1/3 - 2/3 cup cold, filtered water (I start with 1/3 cup and add as needed until you have a thick dough that is spreadable. I found 1/3 cup to be too little water.)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
2. Combine all ingredients in a food processor or Blendtec Blender which is what I use and pulse until smooth.
3. Place a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet. Grease sheet with a small amount of olive oil. Put about 1/3 of the cracker dough in the middle of the sheet. Press down with a spatula. Now, get your hands wet with water and begin pressing the dough down flat, re-wetting hands as needed to press the dough as thin as possible, about 1/8 inch.
4. Score the crackers into the size and shape you like with a pizza cutter or sharp knife (or make shapes with a cookie cutter). Poke holes in crackers with a toothpick if you like and bake the crackers for about 13 minutes, then flip them over and remove parchment paper. Bake 5 to 7 more minutes until they are fairly firm and golden brown, but not too brown. This is where it gets a little tricky. Every oven is different so just watch them and make sure they become golden brown, but not burned! Turn oven off, open the door to let some heat out for about 1 minute and then allow the crackers to sit in the 'turned off' oven another 1/2 hour or so until they are perfectly crisp. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely, if you can before you eat them:)
This is one of my favorite, healthy meal plans because the recipes are simple and very healing while also tasting great!
Maria Rippo is a Transformational Weight Loss & Wellness practitioner with an online as well as a local practice in Bothell, WA.This article Copyright 2013 by Maria Rippo, all right reserved. To replicate or use any portion of this article, please do so in its entirety including this text or contact the author at email@example.com.